Thursday, May 21, 2009

Another Blog

I have been thinking about starting my own blog for me. My other blog is Taevin's and I want to keep it as just his. I feel like I am just struggling and sinking in life and I need a place where I can vent my struggles, chronicle my attempts, and hold myself accountable for my life. I don't like where I am and I need to change that.

I want to be healthier.

I want to find a better job.

I want to be more financially responsible.

I want to buy a house.

I want to keep my house more organized and tidy.

I want to feel comfortable and confident in who I am.

I want to give Taevin a better life than I ever had.

Revamping my entire life is a big undertaking. I don't want to get overwhelmed and give up so I am going to focus on just one aspect at a time. Today's is rather a large daunting one in itself. My health.

The Problem
I eat junk. All day. Every day. Constantly. I love junk. It is so good. Chocolate, cake, ice cream, fries, chips. All of it. Even when I try to eat healthy, I end up making it junky. Today I went to subway. I thought I should get a salad. Instead, I got a bmt with a ton of mayo and a side of M&M cookies. It was delicious but not quite the healthy lunch I had planned. I want to eat better and be a good example for Taevin of how to eat healthy food.

I do not exercise. Not ever. I am by no means fat but that does not mean I am in shape. In fact, I am shamefully the opposite. So out of shape that my abs were sore today from the 20 (yes, 20!) crunches I did last night. I am embarrassed by how out of shape I am. I am also embarrassed by my squishy stomach that goes everywhere unless I wear tight form fitting pants. That is a problem though because most of my pants are way too big.

The Plan
I am going to start meal planning for the week in advance. I used to do this well but have been slacking lately. I'm going to write a grocery list of healthy food to buy and stick to the list when I shop. It will be painful to pass up the ice cream aisle and put the chips back on the shelf but in the end it will save me money in addition to helping me be healthy which I think is great motivation.

I am going to leave my debit card at home when I go to work. My downfall is that I always have access to funds when I carry my card. It is very easy to go buy whatever and justify that it is just this once and just a little bit. I think I will allow myself a small budget, perhaps just for coffee. I can get a large cup of coffee for $.75. If I get a coffee every day, I will spend $7.50 in a bi-weekly period. Considering I have been spending about $15-20 a week on junk, I think that will be a wonderful improvement, no only for my health but also for my budget.

I'm going to start exercising daily. No. Matter. What. I always shower in the evening and get ready for the next day. The new rule will be that before I can take my shower, I have to do something. I'm going to work on an exercise plan tomorrow at work and will post it once it is complete. I think on weekends, I am going to start taking Taevin on walks in the mornings as well.

3 comments:

  1. I beleive in you. Thats a good idea leaving the debit card at home, but I don't really spend money at work (ok sometimes I do) I just go overboard at the grocery store or we go out to eat. And you'll need to conserve money if you are going to buy healthier food because it is more expensive. Chicken is better for you than beef but its is almost 2.00 more a pound than hamburger meat, unless you find it on sale. I buy it when its on sale and freeze it. You should buy fruit and veggies at the farmers market, lots are starting to pop up now and it is less expensive and the farmers get more of the money than when they sell it to a grocery store. I don't know if you like tea or not but a lot of people like the green chai stuff that you can buy thats healthier than the coffee, and then you don't have to hop yourself up on caffee. Chocolate is the worse thing for me, I seem to need it. They have those 100 calorie packs, you should buy those they are more expensive but it portion controls it so you don't over indulge on them. You also need to clean your desk out at work, I know you have lots of junk in there don't you?! Take one 100 calorie pack to work that way you can reward yourself. Then you still get the sweetness you crave. Also for ice cream get froze yogurt in those little cups and you can still have it. If you take all of the junk out you will crash and eat lots because its hard to go cold turkey. Plus its ok to have those things once in a while just not gobs and gobs of it daily.

    I like your plan. I really need to learn how to manage our money and I am really trying. I need to make a list when I go to the store and stick to it. ugh.

    The blog was a good idea.. I think I am done rambling at you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to start walking, I was really good a it then stopped. I can't walk or work out when I am swollen though because it is painful. I still have been off of pop, I did have one yesterday but only half. I have been drinking a lot more water and tea. More tea at work though to get through the day but I have drank almost a gallon of water just today. Add lemon to your water, makes it much easier to drink.

    Side note: I gave logan a lemon and I think he likes it, figures since when I was pregnant I craved lemon allll the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Heather! You CAN do this!!

    ReplyDelete